Jackfruit Kebabs are amazing as a plant-based burger alternative that is delicious and super clean! They don’t contain any of the synthetic ingredients of the “Impossible” or “Beyond” burger or any soy, corn, or ‘natural’ flavors (which are anything but natural). This recipe is also grain-free, fat-free & bean-free! I even have a special trick I use to make perfectly shaped kebab patties each time with a fraction of the effort.
- Cooking Pan
- Place the onions, garlic and a little water in a sauté pan.
- Sauté until the onions soften - this should take 3 - 5 minutes.
- Open the cans of jackfruit and drain the water out.
- Wash the jackfruit well with filtered water to remove any excess salt in the jackfruit.
- Once drained, scoop the jackfruit out into a food processor.
- Add the sautéd onions and garlic, all the spices, maple syrup, coconut sugar, lemon juice, coconut aminos & tomato paste.
- Prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- My special trick to making perfectly shaped kebab or burger patties: Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the mixture onto the baking tray and use the flat end of a spatula to press down each scoop. The burger should be about half an inch thick and when it cooks down it will be about a quarter-inch thick or more.
- Bake the Jackfruit Kebabs for 30 minutes at 375 F and flip the kebabs halfway through to cook both sides.
- It is also possible to air fry these kebabs at 450 for about 20 minutes for a faster, crisper result.
TO SERVE – BREAD & WRAP OPTIONSThere are a few clean options for serving your Jackfruit Kebabs:
- Serve on a lettuce wrap or collard wrap.
- If you are doing bread, then serve with a dinner roll from one of my favorite bread companies, Bread Srsly. The ingredients for their dinner rolls are Organic White Rice Flour, Organic Millet Flour, Organic Sorghum Flour, Arrowroot, Sourdough Starter (Water, Organic Sorghum Flour), Xanthan Gum, Sea Salt.
- Their sourdough sandwich rolls ingredients are Arrowroot, Organic Millet Flour, Organic Sorghum Flour, Sourdough Starter (Water, Organic Sorghum Flour), and Organic Psyllium Husk, Sea Salt.
- Obviously, neither option is perfect. The buns contain rice flour (not my preferred grain to give my family) and it contains Xanthum gum which is “sometimes” made with corn. The Sandwich rolls don’t use rice flour but contain psyllium husk which can be hard on sensitive guts.
- Another option is to make the Medical Medium Bread which is the cleanest bread by far, but you do have to make it yourself.
- A company whose wraps we love are Go Ehsto. I know the owners. They are very much into making food that is friendly to Medical Medium followers. They are willing to modify the recipes to make them clean enough for those on a healing lifestyle, so please do contact them and tell them you heard about them from me!
Choosing a Sauce
For maximum culinary goodness, add a sauce to your Jackfruit Kebabs. Choose from my Cashew Cheese sauce, Guacamole or my favorite, the Herby Pesto! My Vegan Tzatziki Sauce is amazing with this recipe too.
Check out my Chutneys and Sauces Recipe Book. I have the most incredible barbeque sauce recipe in the book. And, if you want to spice things up, try my family favorites, the Cilantro-Mint Chutney or Spicy Mango Chutney.
Truly, every recipe in this book would be perfect to pair with your grilled favorites. And it’s for a really good cause – all proceeds go to Underdog Warriors to help those healing chronic illnesses with great financial struggles.
More than anything, I hope you thoroughly enjoy the process of creating healthy, fun, and exciting meals for your family. Know that healing does not have to be hard. Learning good recipes can make healing super enjoyable!