I think it’s time to talk about the importance of the miracle cleaner – hydrogen peroxide – and it’s many household (and non household) uses. It stands to reason that because it’s is my all time favorite multi-purpose cleaner, I should explain why.
There can be a lot of confusion around how to use hydrogen peroxide, so I want to clear that up and simplify it for you all.
Everything You Need To Know About Hydrogen Peroxide & Household Cleaning
WHAT IS HYDROGEN PEROXIDE?
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a clear, colorless, odorless liquid. It’s a combination of hydrogen and oxygen and is available in many strengths (indicated by the percentage of dilution with water).
People use diluted food grade hydrogen peroxide in home food preparation and storage, including:
- vegetable antibacterial wash
- lettuce preservative
Furthermore, when diluted with water, it can also be used in food-related home cleaning such as:
- cutting board disinfection
- countertop disinfection
- sponge and dish cloth cleaning
- refrigerator cleaning
- lunchbox disinfection
- floor cleaning
- bathroom cleaning
- stain removal (from just about anything and anywhere)
- odor removal from carpets or linens etc.
Looking for more information? Here is a website that goes in-depth about all things hydrogen peroxide.
What do the different concentrations mean?
- Read here to learn about what the different concentrations mean.
- However, please note that it’s harder to find 35% now in USA because it requires special arrangements to be shipped as a hazardous material. That is probably why you can’t find it on Amazon anymore. Look for 12% food grade hydrogen peroxide on Amazon.
What do the different Grades mean?
- First of all, what is Food Grade vs. other? Food grade means it is safe enough to use on food.
- Secondly, of importance to note, food grade hydrogen peroxide is a type of peroxide that does NOT contain stabilizers. That means it is JUST plain hydrogen peroxide, without any additives. Food Grade is the only type of peroxide that has NO stabilizers in it.
- Thirdly, this means it is more easily susceptible to breaking down.
- Finally, here is a great website that helps to clearly define the different grades.
- Here is the rule of thumb – you should be diluting everything higher than 3 percent concentration down to 3 percent. Click here to learn how.
- Having said that, if you have 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, you can use it straight with no dilution.
Dilution Ratio Calculator:
- Here is a calculator to help figure out the dilution ratios for 35% to 3% based on what bottle size you are using. There is even a conversion in metric for our non-US members.
Please leave me a comment below and let me know if this hydrogen peroxide tutorial was helpful. While I do use other non-toxic cleaners that can be found on my Amazon Store, hydrogen peroxide is my favorite go-to miracle cleaner.
To your health & happiness,
14 thoughts on “Hydrogen Peroxide – My Multi-Purpose Miracle Cleaner”
Hello! Thank you for sharing this information! Can it be used on granite countertops?
Marcie, yes it can!
Can you use it to clean the omega juicer and would you recommend it? 🙂
Yes totally! I use it for my own juicer often!
When washing fruits and vegetables in the sink, how much 3% Food Grade peroxide to mix in the sink full of water?
And for how long?
Thank you so much!
You don’t need to dilute the 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Can i use this as a mouthwash?…when yes…how much %?….1%?
Yes, you can. 3% or less is good.
Really helpful info. Thank you!!!! Have you ever tried using it on a carpet stain? I dumped a whole HMDS in the car!!
it works amazing on carpets (use it all the time) and clothing, linens etc. the only time I am careful and test if something has a strong color or its a very delicate material. Then I just make a weaker solution. But usually a 3% solution is perfect.
Thank you, Muneeza. You answered my question about the need (no) to dilute 3% H2O2.
Glad to help with that!
Thank you Muneeza. I will look to where to find this in Switzerland. I have been wanting to buy it for some time now.
Its such a great easy to use product! Hope you find it.