BBQ Maple Chaat Vegetable Skewers are a fan favorite for Memorial Day or July 4th weekend, when backyard barbecuing is on everyone’s minds! The beautiful thing about vegetable skewers is that you can have so much fun with them and have many different varieties of vegetables, sauces, and marinades! Here I am sharing two of our favorite marinades with you! One of them has a Pakistani – Indian flavor kick to it! The other has a milder citrus flavor to it.
BBQ Maple Chaat Vegetable Skewers
- BBQ or Grill
- 6 portobello mushrooms quartered
- 8 - 10 potatoes cubed large
- 2 red bell peppers cubed
- 3 onions quartered
- 2 zucchini sliced thick
- 12-15 cherry tomatoes whole
- 1 bunch broccoli use florets only
BBQ Maple Marinade
- 11/2 cups coconut aminos
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp 1 tsp chaat masala
Lime Honey Marinade
- 8 limes juiced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 tbsp Raw honey
- First, if you are using potatoes in your skewers, make sure you have them steamed ahead of time.
- It takes 8 - 10 potatoes about 30 - 40 minutes in the steamer depending on the size of your potatoes.
- For faster steaming always cut them into cubes.
- Second, choose which marinade you are making.
- I like to do both and split the veggies between the two.
- Place the coconut aminos, maple syrup, and spices into a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the lime juice, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, and raw honey to another bowl.
- Bamboo skewers are great for making this recipe. Take 8 - 10 skewers and soak them in cold water.
- Preheat broiler on high and arrange racks 6-8 inches from heat source.
- Next, chop all your veggies to be an appropriate size for sliding onto a skewer.
- Then place as many of the veggies into the two marinade bowls.
- Ensure that the veggies are all evenly coated with the marinade.
- Let the veggies soak for about 60 minutes and periodically stir the mixtures to ensure the veggies on top also get well coated.
- Once the veggies are ready, load them onto the skewers and grill.
- Broil or grill until slightly blackened and tender, 7-10 minutes.
- Serve with a sauce from my sauces & chutneys book or another sauce from our blog!
You cannot serve Grilled Veggie Skewers without good sauces. Check out my Chutneys and Sauces Recipe Book. I have the most incredible barbeque sauce recipe in the book. And, if you want to spice things up, try my family favorites, the Cilantro-Mint Chutney or Spicy Mango Chutney.
Truly, every recipe in this book would be perfect to pair with your grilled favorites. And it’s for a really good cause – all proceeds go to Underdog Warriors to help those healing chronic illnesses with great financial struggles.
You can also pair the BBQ Maple Chaat Skewers with my Spicy Tahini Cilantro Dressing or my Red Thai Chilli Sauce! For the Lime Honey Skewers pair, it with my Jackfruit-Mushroom Taco Meat!
More than anything, I hope you thoroughly enjoy the process of creating healthy, fun, and exciting meals for your family. Know that healing does not have to be hard. Learning good recipes can make healing super enjoyable!
2 thoughts on “BBQ Maple Chaat Vegetable Skewers”
The potatoes are still uncooked!
Hey Stephanie – thanks for sharing with us – we cooked our potatoes on separate skewers because they take longer to cook. I will clarify that in the recipe.