The journey of self-love is one that we have all been on in some form. “Self-love” is a phrase that is tossed around a lot in the world of female empowerment. I am sure you have heard it before, yes?
In the spirit of Mother’s Day, I want to help you bring the focus back on loving yourself, with a slight twist. In this way we are more equipped to show love for others and love the very people we want to serve better & deeper and sustain ourselves at the same time. And more than self love, we really want this journey to be about self-compassion. Whereas self love can be self-absorbed, self compassion has a slightly different quality of forgiving oneself deeply.
“Why self-compassion and not self-love? Self-love is okay. It’s about loving who you are, appreciating who you are, and it can reach into accepting who you are and what you look like. It seems to work perfectly for people when everything is going well. And then . . . what if they go through a hardship? When you’re struggling and suffering, that’s when the game changes. Self-love doesn’t mean you’re granting yourself a healing like self-compassion does. Self-love alone cannot grant you peace. When your focus is on loving yourself, it can accidentally bleed over into loving yourself more than anybody around you. Compassion is what wakes us up to the wider world.”
-Anthony William, Medical Medium: Liver Rescue
Through the lens of the 5 Languages of Love, I want to help you learn to practice self-compassion.
What are the 5 languages of love and how can they help guide you in a daily practice of self-love? And help guide you deeper into self-compassion.
Words of Affirmation
- Practice daily affirmations – our thoughts proceed our emotions and behaviors. Bring your intention to being kind to yourself.
- Keep a gratitude journal – document your accomplishments, strengths, and what you like about yourself. Document your gratitude for these special gifts.
- Positive self-talk…put your inner critic on mute and make the conscious decision to be your best cheerleader.
Acts of Service
- Prepare healthy meals for yourself – allow yourself the time to put thought and effort into your meal prep.
- Clean, organize, and decorate your living space so it is pleasing to you – love where you live, even on a budget.
- Make sure to address your health concerns in a timely manner. Prioritize your own health.
- Set aside enough time to groom yourself with care, so that you feel beautiful on the inside and out.
- Stretch your muscles – give yourself a massage or take a sauna…relax your body.
- Release toxins and stress by soaking in a nice warm bath – Living Libations Shampoo as a bubble bath, and Herbivore Botanicals Amethyst Jasmine Scrub
- Massage and moisturize your skin with Annmarie Gianni Coconut Body Oil and Hooray Hand Cream from Living Libations.
- Give yourself a spa treatment – know you are worth extraordinary care.
- Buy only gifts you love. Allow only items that bring positive vibrations into your home. I love Soul Bliss Candles and surrounding myself with earth items such as crystals and wooden accents.
- Give yourself the gift of having someone else prepare your meal – check out Daily Harvest for some Medical Medium® compliant options
- Gift yourself an experience that promotes your physical and/or mental well being. Check out my Womens Health month in the 2020 Membership courses
- Invest in your education and advancement of whatever brings you joy; where you find passion.
- Make quality time for a mindfulness practice (deep breathing, prayer, meditation, etc). This will help you connect with your highest self. Try my Peace and Prayer month in the 2020 Membership courses.
- Make time for leisure and hobbies.
- Prioritize what helps you heal – sleep, healing meals, exercise…reboot to revitalize.
- Make a conscious effort not to over-schedule or over-commit yourself.
Self-compassion is a journey that takes practice and dedication. The more you apply this practice, it will grow exponentially. Remember…energy flows where your intention goes. And also remember, it goes far deeper than self-love.
“You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and compassion.”
For more information on how to strengthen your connections to experience greater joy and harmony in your relationships, visit the 5 Languages of Love website.
To your health & happiness,