This simple, Medical Medium friendly Babagnoush recipe, is one of my favorite go-to appetizers…always a crowd pleaser. Much like hummus, this Mediterranean dish is a very versatile dip – try it will veggies or some Simple Mills pita crackers. The silky texture and smokey flavor make it irresistible! I grew up eating babaganoush and hummus. It was part of our regular snack food. I am so excited to bring you this healthier cleaner oil-free version.
This babaganoush recipe pairs really well with my Za’atar Pita Cassava Crackers.
Muneeza’s Babaganoush Recipe - Low Fat and Fat Free Version Included
- 3 eggplants
- 2 lemons juiced
- 4 Tbsp tahini (optional to taste)
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 tsp pomegranate syrup (I used Just Syrup brand)
- 3 cloves garlic roasted
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sumac (optional)
- 2 Cups parsley finely chopped
- ½ tsp chipotle pepper
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp mint ribboned for garnish
- sea salt to taste
Optional Ingredients for Variation
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ Cup pine nuts lightly toasted
- ½ Cup pomegranate arils
- 1 red bell pepper roasted
- You may add any of the ingredients noted above in baba ganoush.
- To make this really low fat you can use just 1 tbsp of tahini. If you want to leave it out altogether that is fine too, although it won’t taste like traditional baba ganoush but rather like an eggplant spread (see recipe for Fat Free Middle Eastern Eggplant Dip).
- Either way, it tastes great.
- Poke holes in the eggplant with a fork. Put into the bake with a parchment sheet for 45 m at 400 F.
- Once done, remove from the oven and cool. When cool enough to touch scrape out the soft flesh from inside into a high speed blender.
- Add all the other ingredients except the parsley and mint.
- Then blend at high speed for about 1 minute. Check the consistency - it should be thick and creamy. Pour the baba ganoush into a bowl, stir in the parsley and put the mint on top before serving.
- If you are using any of the ingredients for the variants, always mix these in the end - do not blend these ingredients in.
To your health & happiness,