Coconut Curry Purple Cabbage and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (replace with 1 cup of water or broth if cooking oil-free)
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium to large head of purple cabbage, chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups sweet potato, chopped
- 1 can coconut milk (eliminate if remaining fat-free)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cayenne (optional)
- In a large stockpot, add your coconut oil (or use water or vegetable broth). Add the celery and onion. Allow it to cook down for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Next, add the cabbage and garlic, and sauté for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Next, add the chopped sweet potato, coconut milk, vegetable broth, curry, thyme, and cayenne (optional). Put the heat on medium, and allow the soup to cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the sweet potato is soft.
This Coconut Curry Purple Cabbage and Sweet Potato Soup is perfect for the fall weather that is peaking through the end of the summer. The cabbage is chock full of liver-healing nutrients and the sweet potato is loaded with the right kind of glucose and grounding that prepares us for the cooler months ahead. If you are remaining fat-free you can eliminate the coconut milk and have this soup as a vegetable broth.
Let’s examine some of the incredible healing properties of the ingredients in this soup.
Onions are highly antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. Not to mention, they are high in sulfur, which makes them great for killing off unproductive bacteria in the stomach like strep. Additionally, onions help to heal the neurological system and are excellent for respiratory issues as well.
Garlic is highly medicinal! “One raw crushed clove of garlic contains the antibiotic equivalent of 100,000 units of penicillin” – Anthony William, Life-Changing Foods.
Additionally, garlic contains very strong antibiotic, anti-fungal, anti-cancer, and anti-viral properties. The allicin in garlic has been proven to significantly lower cholesterol and blood pressure. With strong anti-inflammatory properties, this tiny herb is critical for healing from any autoimmune disease.
Sweet potatoes are full of antioxidants such as beta carotene, vitamins C, E, and D, and minerals like manganese and iron.
Additionally, sweet potatoes help relax muscles, steady nerves, and balance cognitive function, making them an incredible anti-stress food.
Furthermore, sweet potatoes are one of the best anti-cancer foods; particularly helpful in the prevention of breast, colon, ling, skin, and oral cancers. They also assist in removing heavy metals. Sweet potatoes contain phytochelatins that bind to heavy metals and safely remove them
2 Tbsp coconut oil (replace with 1 cup of water or broth if cooking oil-free)
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 medium to large head of purple cabbage, chopped
4-6 cloves of garlic
2 cups sweet potato, chopped
1 can coconut milk (eliminate if remaining fat-free)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp cayenne (optional)
- In a large stockpot, add your coconut oil (or use water or vegetable broth). Add the celery and onions. Allow it to cook down for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and garlic and sautee for another 3-5 minutes
- Add the chopped sweet potato, coconut milk, vegetable broth, curry, thyme, and cayenne (optional). Put the heat on medium and allow the soup to cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the sweet potato is soft.
With all of these incredible healing benefits, you will be making this soup time and time again. Let me know if you make it and what you think – I love hearing your feedback.
To your health & happiness,