So, this happened.
I had to have my entire basement gutted due to a water leak and mold growth situation.
My hubby was out of town. I was handling work and three kids solo.
I am HIGHLY reactive to mold.
Was I freaking out?? HELL yeah.
I started to pull out every tool I had for mold exposure and protection from it. Plus I had had mold exposure and needed to make sure that none of those spores took hold in my body.
But it was not just the mold. They had to gut out and rebuild the entire basement. And yes, I have a ton of chemical sensitivities.
Rebuild would involve construction materials, dust, polymers, solvents, paints and glues.
Then I had my second freak out. Oh crap crap crap!!!! How am I going to figure this out?
Lots of deep breathing was happening. Lots of praying. Lots of centering and grounding, when literally the ground underneath me was coming undone.
SO, what did I do?
- I prayed. A LOT.
- Overnighted 4 diffusers and used Anthony’s remedy from Spirit about diffusing thyme, bergamot, sage & rosemary. I already have a stock of these oils, for an emergency situation just like this. So I got the diffusers going.
- Contacted a green restoration company (amongst others). Researched the antimicrobial agents they used to kill mold. It was a combination of 35% hydrogen peroxide and a custom blend of an agent that is not based on synthetic chemicals. They gave me all the specs and it looked ok to me, so we decided to go ahead with that.
- I started to locate the cleanest non-VOC paints and woods that I could find. I found a local supplier and ordered the paints. There is a brand called SafeCoat (which ranges in a similar price to mainstream paints) that is really amazing. Even the painters commented that it was a really high quality paint and they liked working with it.
- I located several pure bamboo floors and also a few hardwoods (that were not expensive) that were pure not blended, nor laminates, not just the covering on the floor. This ensures the best quality of material with the least chemical gunk in it. The best way to do this would be to use pure wood and stain it and lacquer it with clean non-VOC materials. However, we did not have time to do that.
- I started to eat a lot of the aromatic herbs in my diet – totally fresh herbs chewing them straight up, like sage, oregano, rosemary and thyme.
- Upping my spirulina which also removes mold from the body. I started doing about 2 tbsps a day.
- I take aloe every day and I upped that too, especially since it is highly anti mold.
- I increased the amount of chaga tea I was drinking daily from 1 tsp to 2 tsp a day. If you are not already doing this with mold exposure, just start with the 1 tsp a day.
- Add in rose hips tea, if you are not already doing it. It is powerful against removing mold in the body.
- In general the foods I increased were apples, apricots, dates, figs, grapes, kiwi, melon, oranges, honey, pears, pomegranates, celery (of course), cruciferous, leafy greens & sweet potatoes.
I used a lot of recommendations personally that I have put into my Greening Your Home webinar which you can snag here. I have walked into the basement several times and hung out there for a while and I have had no reaction to anything.
For this, I am SO deeply grateful. The last thing I needed was to have a reaction that would trigger more viral activity.
And yes, this can happen to any of us at any time, because you never know when there is a storm brewing inside that could trigger into something big. So prevention and caution is the way to best protect yourself.
Lots of prayer.
Thank you as always for sharing this journey with me.
It is my greatest honor to serve you,
PS: Here is the link to the Bless-It-Forward – if you are called to gift yourself, or someone who is in great need of health support, this is the gift that keeps on giving, to the donations we are making and you are making. Thank you for participating, it means the world to me!