“Mom, this Kabocha Squash Pizza tastes like real pizza” said my oldest and fussiest daughter when it comes to food! I created this recipe for my family to have a really enjoyable pizza experience and I hope your family does too. The kabocha squash crust can be used as a flatbread for all kinds of toppings, so I really hope you will have fun with it!
Kabocha Squash Pizza
- Rolling Pin
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Tray or Pizza Stone
Kabocha Squash Crust
- 3 cups Kabocha Squash Steamed (20-30 minutes)
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot flour (more if needed)
- 1 ½ cup potato flour
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- to taste sea salt
- 1 jar tomato paste Bio-Naturae Brand
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2-3 cups Arugula
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1-2 jalapeños sliced
- 2 tbsp olives sliced, optional
- ½ avocado sliced, optional
Kabocha Squash Pizza Crust
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor.
- Process until a dough forms
- If the dough is sticky and more on the wet side, add more arrowroot powder 2 tbsp at a time until it does not stick anymore.
- The reason for any variability is that your kabocha may carry more water from being steamed longer.
- Split the dough into 2 - 3 even-sized parts
- Place parchment paper on the counter and put the dough on the parchment (this makes it easy to transfer to the oven or pizza tray).
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the pizza dough. Then pick up the parchment and slide it onto a baking tray.
- Bake at 350 F for 12 - 15 minutes.
- It should be golden brown on top and the crust should be pliable.
- Repeat until all crusts are baked and ready for topping.
- Place all ingredients into a small bowl and mix through.
- The sauce is ready to use.
- Once all the parts are ready, and the Kabocha Squash Pizza crust is ready, spread the tomato sauce onto the flattened crusts.
- Then add the caramelized onions.
- Top with fresh arugula.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, jalapeños, olives, mushrooms or avocados.
- If you would like to add a dairy-free ''cheese" on top, try my Cashew Cheese recipe and drizzle once you have added all your desired toppings.